Meghan MacKinnon, BSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor in Aurora and Markham
This year I postponed the thought of New Year’s resolutions, until now. So often we have grandeur ambitions and we simply “resolve” that we are going to change them, without thinking them through. I consider myself to be fairly optimistic, but I have to wonder how often people actually manage to keep these resolutions? I have shared below some simple and easy to implement strategies to kick start your year.
1. Eat Breakfast: If you have a goal of weight loss this year, this is step one. I suggest having a good quality protein source within one hour of waking up to kick start your metabolism for the day to improve energy, stabilize blood sugar and help you to lose weight.
2. Movement Therapy: If you are making the resolution to exercise more, try reframing this into thinking about it as movement therapy. Find something you enjoy doing like walking, yoga or dance. If you enjoy doing it, you are much more likely to stick with your routine.
3. Start a Gratitude Journal: This is a perfect way to start the new year, by reflecting on things in life that you are grateful for or things that make you smile at the end of every day.
4. Try New Foods: The New Year is a great time to switch up your eating routine. Try one new whole food each week. Such as quinoa, kale, beets, bok choy etc…
5. Take More Me Time: Read more, take a bath or learn to meditate. Whatever it may be find a way to take some time for yourself.